Jul 29, 2007

(Insert Law & Order theme song here)

So Jordan asked for an update on my "Legally Blonde" experience when I went to jury duty, so here it is!

I got summoned to jury duty when I was still in Utah, so thankfully mom had it postponed and I was able to do it this past monday. Now, I know you are all asking the same question..."Kali, what did you wear to such an event?" Well, figuring that my still unworn prom dress might be going a little overboard and I didn't have a pink power suit like Elle Woods, I had to settle for my new plaid bermuda shorts from Nordstrom and a beige shirt.

Arapahoe County Courthouse
July 23, 2007
8:00 a.m.

Since we are lacking a little in the car department, mom dropped me off at the courthouse around 8 in the morning. I had been to the courthouse before for a mock trial in my law class, so I knew right where to go. After walking through metal detectors I promptly turned right and went to Juror holding room #104. (it smelled like frying bacon, which quite frankly was disgusting). Being the retard I am I totally forgot the form I was supposed to fill out and bring so I had to get a new one and the lady looked quite annoyed with me. Then I sat down and filled out the paperwork being as unbiased as possible so I could stay and be a part of the legal process. The next 45 minutes turned into non-stop fun as I read Harry Potter, listened about the stupid youtube debates on CNN and watched people file in looking thrilled to be there. Finally they showed a video with Ed Sardella talking about who knows what because I was still reading Harry Potter and a judge came in to tell us what I think was pretty much the same thing as Ed was talking about.

I was selected in the first group of jurors and they started dismissing the first batch of people. I held my breath as they read the numbers of people who got to go home. My number was skipped and I headed upstairs as juror number 26! (Don't worry, I started breathing again). When we got up to the court room, we all stood for the judge and he started reading the charges against the defendant and it turns out the kid was being charged with rape and for beating the crap out of the girl! (I didn't need any evidence to see that the jerk was guilty!) Then he kept reading and I started daydreaming, but it pretty much was all legal talk...blah blah blah. And then, some fat man raised his hand and asked if he could go to the bathroom! We were almost to the point where the lawyers started asking questions and he had to go and ruin it all with his little bathroom visit. After this impromptu 10 minute break the DA started asking everybody questions. He asked if anybody watched CSI: and of course I raised my hand because that show is awesome! And pretty much he spent a half an hour talking to people about evidence and crap. He didn't ask me anything, but he did say "bless you" when i sneezed. Then the defense was up and the poor defense attorney was so not attractive and so boring. She asked me how I could possibly know who was telling the truth if one person said it was consensual and the other person said it was rape. I looked at her and said, "Being a young girl myself I have a really hard time believing that a teenager would make up something as serious as sexual assault." OH YEAH! Good answer me! So...of course right as I'm next to go up on the jury stand the ugly defense lady said, "We'd like to thank and dismiss Miss Harris." I was really bummed cause I was hoping that I would get a chance to tell the lady that she should get some bangs....maybe wear a little makeup, or at the very least, to stop dressing like it was 1983. So, that was my eventful experience with the law. Not quite as exciting as Legally Blonde, and I probably won't end up on 48 hour mystery, but still fun.

Now, onto Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!! I finally finished and it was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! (I would say freaking awesome, but mom and kayce would throw a fit and make me take that word off my blog) But seriously, It was soooo good! I almost cried....Ok, I totally cried at the end. I finished it Friday night, and all day Saturday my neck was killing me and I didn't know why until I realized I spent 3 hours staring down at the book. Now, I'm going to start with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (or Philosopher's Stone for all you Brits) and read till the end of the series! I love Harry Potter......

Last night we saw Hairspray and it is now my favorite movie ever! IT WAS SO GOOD! I've been in love with Hairspray since I played it for chorallette's and I saw it at Buelle theater, but the movie was probably even better because Zac Efron is just gorgeous and the dancing is awesome and everything about it was just AWESOME! (Pretend that's me in the picture) Mom leaned over to me in the movie and said that I needed to go to BYU and find somebody that looked like Zac Efron......rriiiiiiiight. Apparently Mindy has never been to provo. But I loved it, and I plan on seeing it again and again, and buying the soundtrack so I can sing along the next time I watch it.

3 comments:

Girls-R-Us!!! said...

Madison would like to find Zack Efron with you!!!

Jayme said...

I L-O-V-E your blog. It is fantastic. Seriously, you should be a writer. You are so funny. Halle misses you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Kali, you seriously have a future in writing! You are hilarious!

I am starting the series over too! But I am starting on Chamber of Secrets because Victoria is reading Philosophers Stone.... I quite recommend looking up harry potter on Wikipeida and reading all the fun things about it.

See you tuesday! Keep up the good work! It's Fab-u-LOUS!

Love,

Jordan